Kitchen Essentials for the Modern Desi Home
Explore our display-worthy functional kitchen products that are essential for any modern South Asian home. From traditional masala dabbas to chakla and belan sets, chai strainers to pestle and mortars, we have everything you need to enhance your culinary experience. Shop now!
The Ritual of Chai in Desi Homes
Chai 3x a Day
Chai is consumed at various times of the day in South Asian homes. It is a common morning beverage, and it's also enjoyed as an afternoon pick-me-up and in the evening around 4-5pm. It's always served to guests as a gesture of hospitality.
Tea Making Process
Here's a basic process for making chai:
- Water is brought to a boil in a pot.
- Loose tea leaves or tea bags are added to the boiling water along with fresh chai masala ground up in a Mortar and Pestle and sugar.
- After simmering for a few minutes, milk is added to the pot.
- The tea is simmered again until it reaches the desired strength and flavor.
- It is then strained into cups or glasses.
Many Desi households have their own special chai masala (spice mix) recipes. These masalas add a unique flavor and aroma to the tea. Some families keep their chai masala as a well-guarded secret.